Do you live in Kanata, Stittsville or the surrounding area and need your door repaired? Door repairs are one of the more common fixes that I encounter as handyman. Since doors are built several moving parts and houses tend to settle over time, they will always need maintenance or repair. Whether it’s an interior or exterior door, entry door, bedroom door, pocket door, folding door, or patio sliding door, I can repair your door in no time.
Common Door Problems
- Door won’t close – Over time houses settle which cause the wood in your home to dry, shrink then warp slightly. This is totally normal and happens with every wooden frame home. Unfortunately, it can deform the frame of the door keeping the door from closing properly. When this occurs on an exterior door and the weather seals don’t make contact upon closing the door you may start to experience a draft and heat loss.
- Door won’t latch – Common in sliding patio doors, this can be caused by worn out hardware or settling in the home. This can be easily resolved by a handyman and can usually be done in less than an hour.
- Patio door is hard to slide – You might have worn out rollers, a worn track, a bad door installation, or even just dirt buildup on the track. If you think your patio door is more difficult to move than it used to be, you’re probably right. Don’t worry, it can be fixed.
- Drafty door – Feeling a cold draft in the winter months? If your door is not closing properly or the weather seals have broken down, cold air can come right in around your door. Depending on what the issue is, the weather seals can be replaced, or the door frame can be adjusted to close properly. Fixing this common door repair issue will make you more comfortable and save you on heating costs.
- Deadbolt won’t lock – Here is another issue that can be caused by settling in the home. This is a very simple fix and can usually be done in less than an hour. Typically, there is no frame adjustment required. Simply moving the strike plate can solve this issue.
- Just plain outdated – Older homes can benefit highly with the installation of doors if you are looking to update your home. The best part is that the newer doors are typically built much better in terms of energy efficiency. Also, if installed correctly, can be installed to save even more money on the power bill. By sealing around the perimeter of the door with expanding foam, you can eliminate heat loss through the frame of the door.
No matter what the problem is that you’re experiencing with your doors, I can get your home functioning the way it should.